A Torch Against the Night - Sabaa Tahir

In this book, Helene becomes a point of view character, her chapters read by Katharine McEwan. Given her position in the government, she introduces the wide view of the world that the story takes place in and allows the reader to keep tabs on what's happening inside the empire. Meanwhile, Elias and Laia show us more of the world that Tahir built. I love the mysticism and the supernatural creatures in these stories.

As before, the world building is magnificent and now it has simply expanded to include new elements. The three point of view characters progress nicely along with many of the secondary characters. Tahir has mastered the ability to make it clear that every character has their own ambitions that interact with the path of the main characters without making it all about them. That's part of what makes it brilliant to read. Everyone had their own interests and they happened to clash, but not everyone is after the same thing. The writing is beautiful and the plot moves at a great pace.

This is one of those YA series that has a broad appeal to more than just the YA age group. I can't wait for the next installment to come out!

My review of the first one is here