Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: The Little Mermaid (Gft Little Mermaid Tp Vol 01) - Meredith Finch

When they say "modernized re-imagining", they are not kidding. It is a drastically different story, more like a sequel. As the back cover implies, the story takes place after the events of the original story, but they've changed this up a bit too. They gender-bent the original story and then leapt forward twenty years to this new crisis in their lives. All of that did confuse me for the first bit, mostly because I didn't read the back cover before starting it and had gotten the impression from the front cover that this was a straightforward telling of the original in comic form. But I corrected my expectations and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the story. Thoroughly.

Then there's the art. It's beautiful, but it's also clearly not for kids. I'm not entirely against nudity or comic art being sexy, but I would have liked having to be able to recommend this story to a wider audience.

If you enjoy fairy tale retellings or reimaginings as much as I do, definitely pick this up!